Tarak
Is a lie just a lie, or can it be white? What do you think? Can the use of lies be justified? or is a lie only a lie and it cannot be justified under any circumstances?
The previous two posters obviously haven't considered every possible option. Let's say that someone asks you where "person A" is and you expect that this someone wants to kill "person A", then it's okay and even better to lie about the whereabouts of "person A". Another possibility is to lie when you don't want to hurt someone's feelings. "I don't want to date you because you are ugly" might be honest but it also hurts a lot for the other person. Just say "I don't want to date you because I think our characters don't really match" is a lie, but at least you save someone's face and feelings.
lie is a lie, so we must be reponsable for our lies in our life and after it.
White lie is always justified. When we do not hurt people we must lie. When you are asked about makeup of a woman you always say that she lookes beautiful because you do not want to hurt her. The same situation is when you try someone's dishes and so on.
I think that what could make the difference is the "Lier's" intention: If someone is pushed by objective reasons to lie with the intention of reconciling between : Parents; Wives and Husbands; Friends... his action would be well considered even by the pure moralists. On the other hand if a person lies for bad intention his deed is immoral what ever the justification is.
That depends on the situations we are cofronted to...Lying become a 'duty' sometimes, to save a person for example.