ZimermanCAD
The only thing/ The last thing/ The first thing S+V Be verb + Verb Root? Thank you. Thanks in advance, I am very confused about these sentences; why it uses Ving or Vr after the Be Verb. Thanks! The last thing I remembered was kissing my girlfriend. The only thing I can do is ask for help. The first thing I did was doing the dishes. thanks!!!
Dec 26, 2015 4:54 AM
4
0
These all follow the SVO order: Subject Verb Object. You can see this by asking each as a question: The last thing I remembered was WHAT? kissing my girlfriend. The only thing I can do is WHAT? Ask for help. The first thing I did was WHAT? Doing the dishes. So in each case, the words kissing my girlfriend, ask for help and doing the dishes are verbal phrases being used as direct objects. Although the third one should be The first thing I did was to do the dishes. The way you wrote it is wrong.
December 26, 2015
ZimermanCAD