Laura
Go ahead If you want to encourage someone to do something, could you tell them GO AHEAD meaning to carry on? For instance: If you can afford travelling.... Go ahead! If you want to study abroad... Go ahead! Don't let them discourage you. In Spanish we would say: Si puedes permitirme viajar.... ¡Adelante! Si quieres estudiar fuera ... ¡Adelante! No les dejes que te desanimen
27 déc. 2015 13:29
12
0
Yes, that is exactly what 'Go ahead!' means. In fact, it's more appropriate than 'Carry on', because 'carry on' means continue something that you have started. For example, someone tries to interrupt you, but you carry on talking. If you haven't started your travels or your studies, you cannot 'carry on', but you can 'go ahead'. For example, if someone says 'Is it OK if I open the window?', you can say 'Sure, go ahead.' Your only mistake is that 'afford' is followed by 'to' and the infinitive, not the gerund.: If you can afford to travel.... Go ahead!
27 décembre 2015
Yes, you certainly can :)
27 décembre 2015
James, are there many Hispanic English speakers in your region? I was intrigued by your suggestion that 'You can afford travelling' was correct. I'm wondering whether it's one of these second-language errors that has become so widespread that even non-Hispanics have adopted it. I've checked a number of grammar sources, both British and American, and nowhere does it offer 'afford' + gerund as an alternative, even a colloquial one. Other than through first language interference, I can't see how a gerund can be used after 'afford'. It would be interesting to hear other members' views on this.
27 décembre 2015
Thank you for your comments! :)
27 décembre 2015
You can say, "If you can afford travelling....go ahead", por lo menos donde vivo. Es correcto. ....If you can afford a new computer, go ahead, buy one! El infinitivo o gerundio los dos funcionan como substantivos, como "new computer". En cualquier caso particular, es verdad el infintivo o gerundio podria sonar major en ingles. Aqui los dos me suenan bien.
27 décembre 2015
Laura
Catalan, English, Spanish