Mitra
Community Tutor
Is it right to use many "of " in one sentence? Is this sentence correct?? The analysis of the mobility consists of identify the number of degrees of freedom of the system proposed.
28 dic 2015 07:02
11
0
We always use the gerund, not the base form of a verb, after a preposition. This means you should say "of identifying." There's no problem with using the word "of" several times — your sentence is fine as it is.
28 dicembre 2015
No - it isn't correct. "...the mobility' of what? ....consists of the identification of the number of degrees of freedom of the system proposed (proposed system sounds better).
28 dicembre 2015
The analysis of the mobility consists of identify the number of degrees of freedom of the system proposed. There are a lot of 'of's here, also too many nouns in my opinion. Please try to use rather nouns and verbs for a better style, eg, could you delete 'proposed' in your sentence and still be understood? The mobility analysis identifies the number of (degrees of freedom)* of the proposed system. *a set engineering phrase.
2 gennaio 2016
Oh interesting ....I will pay more attention to that now on.
28 dicembre 2015
My pleasure, Mitra. As you notice, there are certain set phrases that require 'of': "degrees of freedom", not "freedom degrees"; "soup of the day", not "the day's soup" (but it can be "today's soup"); "rite of passage" is more common than "passage rite". I think this is because ambiguity arises: Can one get a college degree in "freedom"? Which day's soup? Passage through what? As for using other prepositions instead of 'of', learning prepositions is tricky in most any language, but it can offer a lot of expressiveness. Now if only I can practice what I preach.
28 dicembre 2015
Mitra
English, French, Persian (Farsi), Spanish
English, French, Spanish