John
why they use "THE" in this sentence I read this sentence in an article. The Wayle is a small river that cuts across THE park near my home. this is the first sentence of the article. Why the word "THE" is used here ? Does it mean that "there is only ONE park near my home" or whatsoever ? why they use "a small river that cuts..." instead of "the small river"? if there is one river cutting across the park?
Dec 28, 2015 3:01 PM
3
1
In case ,you don't get what Ms. Sab said. ) You used 'the' when you are referring to A thing or A person that the listener knows what it is or who he is , or you have informed him from earlier statements. A person walked in to my room . THE person then walked out . 'The' refer to that person you talk about in the first sentence (you have let him know who he is earlier). The person who tell me a story will get a prize > Referring to that one person who tell him.. A person who tell me a story will get a prize> Referring to any person who can tell him. Let us go to THE same place tomorrow ( you assumed he knows which place you are talking about ) There is only 'one' same place. The Wayle means they is ONLY one river called 'Wayle' ,and its assumed you know which one since there is only one ,for example, The Great Wall of China , The British Museum ,etc. THE park near my home > You can see that "the" here refers to THAT park that is near your house , not any other park , like The Bristish museum ( only ONE park that is near your house and he is talking about that and similarly only one British museum) He is not talking about another river that cross THE park that is far away from your house , if there is one. What is the Wayle? The Wayle IS a small river that cuts across THE park near my home.> This is to tell you that 'The Wayle' is one small river that cut .........( for your information, but there MAY BE other rivers like it and never said to you) Which river cut across the park near your house ? The Wayle is THE small river that cuts across THE park near my home. > Here , he tells you that the Wayle is the only river , not any other rivers that cut ...
December 28, 2015
Hi hitperson! I suppose "the" is used in this sentence to refer to a specific park, to which the sentence clearly states as the one near your home, and not any other park within a certain vicinity. Which could also mean, there could be many other parks, but only that park, for this statement, is near your home (and is useful to make a clear point). Meanwhile, I guess the sentence used "a" small river following The Wayle because the subject has already been specified as "The" Wayle. If we say, "The Wayle is the small river that cuts..." it would be sort of redundant. To make things a little clearer, "the" is used as a definite article and "a/an" is used as an indefinite one. Hope this helped, hitperson. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm glad to learn from others, too :)
December 28, 2015
December 28, 2015
John