Shontae
What is the difference between "soy" and "estoy"?
Dec 28, 2015 5:40 PM
7
1
Soy- Being yourself Estoy- being in a place
December 28, 2015
Uses of "ser": Ser is used to classify and identify permanent or lasting attributes. If the general rule isn´t specific enough for you, think of the acronym DOCTOR, which stands for Description, Occupation, Characteristic, Time, Origin, and Relationship. Uses of "estar". Estar is used to indicate temporary states and locations. If the general rule doesn´t suffice, think of the acronym PLACE, which stands for Position, Location, Action, Condition, and Emotion.
December 28, 2015
Here is what I think: 'Estoy' means 'I am', and should be used when describing an action; like - I am typing on my keyboard 'Soy' means 'I am' as well, but should be used describing a personal attribute; like - I am Polish, I am a student, I am ill, I am tired
December 28, 2015
In spanish we have 2 verbs for what you called in english "Verb to be" You use ser for things that are permanent for example nationality, professions, religition and estar for things that can change. Ser and estar is very confusing because you need to learn all the exceptions. Any other questions we are here to help you!
December 28, 2015
The two women who answered below have the best answers. Soy is used when talking about things that usually don't change like your nationality, race, job (it can change but you always use soy) or physical description. Por ejemplo. Soy una profesora or Soy morena (dark skin or having dark hair). Soy flaca. Estoy is used when talking about your actions or feelings. Estoy cansada. or Estoy hablando contigo. Estar-actions and feelings. Ser-, nationality, race, job.
Shontae
English, French, Haitian Creole, Spanish
French, Haitian Creole, Spanish