Derrick
Curious about what a waiter earns in different countries I realize that tipping is not a custom in many countries so was wondering what waiters can earn in countries that do not tip AND also in countries that do tip.
just a little tip about tipping here in singapore. it is not common practise for the local people here. but some restaurants and hotels put a little box called the "tipping box" so, at the end of the month they will be equally shared.
Waiting staff in UK are usually earning minimum wage I think, which is £5.73 per hour if you are over 22 (7.36 Euro). As for tips, its not so common in cafés outside of London (I worked in a café in Bath for 5 years, never got tips and i wasn't *that* bad!!), but in resturants where food is served you give between 10-20% of the meal price. Most commonly would be about 15% I would say :) When my mother used to waitress, she would get between £50-£100 per night usually (64-128euro) - as the tips the whole resturant got were shared equally between all of the staff. Hope this helps!