Sandra
When have I to use "haven´t" or "don´t have"?
Dec 29, 2015 1:30 PM
4
0
Firstly your question supposed to be " When I have to... " Haven't is about present perfect tense. I haven't been there for example. Don't have , doesn't have is about something belongs to you or not. For instance I don't have any free time or She doesn't have pencil.
December 29, 2015
When 'have' is the main verb, you conjugate it in the simple tenses in the same way as any other verb, with do/does/don't/doesn't/did/didn't. For example.: I have a car --> I don't have a car He has problems ----> He doesn't have problems I have a coffee break at 11 am ----> I don't have a coffee break at 11 am She had her baby in hospital ----> She didn't have her baby in hospital When 'have' is an auxiliary verb, you conjugate it like other auxiliary verbs, by adding 'not' or the contraction 'n't'. For example: I have seen that film ---> I haven't seen that film. He has been to work ---> He hasn't been to work, They had met before ----> They hadn't met before. Note that in sentences in the present simple with 'have' + 'got', the verb 'have' is an auxiliary verb. This means that you say 'haven't' rather than 'don't have'. For example: I've got a headache ---> I haven't got a headache. He's got the answer ---> He hasn't got the answer. These rules also apply to question forms. You ask 'Do you have..?' when 'have' is the main verb and 'Have you ...?' when it's an auxiliary verb. I hope that helps.
December 29, 2015
Thanks! I understood! ;)
December 29, 2015
Sandra