Niko
Conjugation patterns for Welsh Does anybody know of a good resource for conjugating Welsh verbnouns? I know most of them just take 'bod' as an auxiliary verb, but I have no idea how to express ideas like 'to have', or 'to be able to...' - I've seen these used without 'bod' before, so I was wondering if there's a specific way to conjugate them?
Dec 29, 2015 1:55 PM
5
0
The verbnoun is invariable, it never changes (except when something mutates it, which is different). 'To have to' is expressed by the noun 'rhaid': 'Mae rhaid i mi fynd' (here 'mynd' takes soft mutation because it immediately follows the notional subject of the sentence 'mi'). 'Can' is expressed by the verbs 'gallu' or 'medru', which are normally used in their inflected form, rather than as verbnouns; the construction is 'Galla i fynd'/'Medra i fynd' (the soft mutation is for the same reason). These patterns hold good for other similar constructions too.
December 29, 2015
Niko
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Esperanto, French, Welsh
Chinese (Mandarin), Esperanto, French, Welsh