Gio
I figure to make California by dark??? Could you explain me why does this sentence use the verb "make" instead of "arrive" Grazieeee
Dec 30, 2015 2:16 AM
3
0
See Oxford Dictionaries, under "make" (verb), definition 6: "Manage to arrive at (a place) within a specified time or catch (a train or other form of transport): Example: We’ve got a lot to do if you’re going to make the shuttle. Example: They didn’t always make it on time."
December 30, 2015
The sentence does not make sense due to incorrect grammar and incorrect use of the verb "to figure." BUT, to answer the more general question that you have, "to make a place" can mean (in colloquial English or slang) to arrive before a certain time. The full form would be "to make it to a place." For example: "If we continue driving at this speed, we should be able to make [it to] the next town by lunch time."
December 30, 2015
Many Americans will use make in this situation just as often as they might use arrive. It could be a continuance of the situation already in progress: I'm making a trip to California. I've never heard anyone try to explain make versus arrive.
December 30, 2015
Gio
English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
English, French, Portuguese