Camilla
Korean honorifics?? I am very confused. I always thought -ㅂ니다 was used for all strangers of all ages (except for children), but I've seen in dialogues and dramas that you use -세요 when referring to someone who is doing you a service. Is this correct? For example, if you go to a restaurant and your waiter is young (20-30 yrs old), do you use -세요 and they use -ㅂ니다 because you're their client and they're the "worker"? And if the waiter is an ahjusssi/ahjumma, you use -ㅂ니다 regardless because they're older? How does it work??? :( 감사합니다, I'm very confused!!~
2016年1月1日 07:27
4
0
First off, the age hardly matters. ~ㅂ니다 is more serious, business oriented. People talk this way at job interviews, presentations, etc. ~요 gets mixed in sparsely to tell some side storys, jokes, etc ~요 is the usual everyday honorifc. However, ~ㅂ니다 gets mixed in for accentuation/variation purpose. example: 고객 : 라면 어디 있어요? 점원: 저 쪽 두 번째 칸으로 가시면 돼요 고객: 여기요, 계산 해 주세요 점원: 12000원 입니다.
2016年1月1日
In general, you should use honorifics to anyone you've just met. It is rude not to use honorifics if you don't have any relationship with the other party. The age does not matter unless the person you just met is a child or a teenager.
2016年6月9日
Beware of the language filter when posting a question. Yours is currently under "Others" and NOT "Korean"
2016年1月1日
Camilla
English, Italian, Korean