Helder Carvalho
"Have a good day!" I have noticed that Americans usually will say "Good morning!" early in the day. "Good afternoon" seems to be rarely used, only in formal conversation. But what really puzzles me is "Have a Good Day!" as a farewell, which can be heard even when it's already night. So, when should I say "Good night!"?
9
0
If they are saying "Good day" when it is already night, they are using it at the wrong time, at least in the US. I would use "Have a good night" after dinner or once it is dark. And the shortened "Good night" when I or the person I am talking to is going to bed.
"Good morning" and "Good afternoon" are greetings. You say "Have a good day" and "Good night" when you are saying good bye to someone.
Usually when people say ¨Ḧave a good day!¨ as a farewell, they are wishing that the rest of the other persons day is a good experience. They are wishing them well, ¨day¨ is not in reference to the morning, but as the day in whole. As for ´Good Evening´, you are right that it is usually used in formal occasions. Good night is often used after 8pm, but most often used right before one goes to bed.
Hi Helder ......How interesting! I hadn't thought about it before, but you are absolutely right: 'Good afternoon' is rarely used except in formal situations, and I think 'have a good day' might be used in the evening, to refer to the next day: 'have a good day (tomorrow)'. Also, just to add, you could say 'I have noticed Americans usually say ...' (present simple for 'habit', ..... 'will' future or 'will' for emphasis is unnecessary here). Best wishes - Rachel
April 22, 2017
Helder Carvalho
English, Portuguese