Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? 1 How would you interpret the second sentence? Does it mean his bed was made up with blankets spread on it, and his things hung on the wall? Or does it mean his bed was made up, with both blankets and his things hung on the wall? 2 How would you interpret this part in the sentence ‘my things hung on the wall, the gas mask in an oblong tin can, the steel helmet on the same peg’? Does it mean his things consisted of the gas mask and the steel helmet and both of them hung on the same peg? Or does it mean his things excluded the gas mask and the steel helmet? If so, how would you interpret ‘the steel helmet on the same peg’? Does it mean the steel helmet hung on the same peg with his things? Or does it mean the steel helmet hung on the same peg as when he left it (He had had been on leave)? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.the context The room I shared with the lieutenant Rinaldi looked out on the courtyard. The window was open, my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall, the gas mask in an oblong tin can, the steel helmet on the same peg. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk, and my winter boots, the leather shiny with oil, were on the trunk. My Austrian sniper's rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut, cheek-fitted, schutzen stock, hung over the two beds. The telescope that fitted it was, I remembered, locked in the trunk.
1
0
"How would you interpret the second sentence?" a) The window was open. (clear enough) b) my bed was made up with blankets. (clear enough) c) and my things ... same peg. The following of his things (and no more or less of his things) (were) hung on one and only one peg on the wall:- 1) gas mask in an oblong tin can. 2) steel helmet 3) Austrian sniper's rifle on a different peg or pegs (or perhaps from the ceiling, which is doubtful) (this item is from a later sentence) . Whether even more of his things hung on the wall is pure speculation and imagination on anyone's part. No blankets were hung on any peg on the wall.
Wu Ting