Wu Ting
How would you interpret these words in the context? 1 As for the word ‘blued’, does it mean the barrel of the sniper rifle was painted with blue paint? To be frank, I’ve never seen any rifle’s barrel painted with blue paint. So I need your confirmation. 2 As for the word ‘shcutzen’, does it mean the sniper rifle has a German stock, for I looked the word up on Wikipedia and found it is a German noun? 3 By the way, I think the word ‘telescope’ mentioned in the second sentence means a gunsight, right? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context My Austrian sniper's rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut, cheek-fitted, schutzen stock, hung over the two beds. The telescope that fitted it was, I remembered, locked in the trunk.
2
0
Hi Gordon. I hope this helps... 1. Bluing is a process steel undergoes to prevent it from rusting. The material used in firearms will turn more blackish-blue overtime and with use, especially the barrel since it's probably the most used part on a firearm. 2. I'm not so sure on this one; but, I think it just means a soldier-ready stock. It could be a German stock; but based on the book I would assume it's Austrian made. Austria and Switzerland speak German; but the three German's (including Germany) differ in how they speak. ...maybe someone more familiar with the language could provide more info here. 3. It just means a rifle scope or rifle optics. They may have called these telescopes back then.
Wu Ting