Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? How would you interpret the first part of the last sentence? How would you interpret the relation among the town, the hill, the old castle and the hills? How would you interpret the word ‘it’ in the phrase ‘the old castle above it’? Does it refer to the town or the hill? Does the sentence mean he saw the town with the hill, and he saw the old castle above the town, and only the old castle was in a cup in the hills? Or does it mean he saw the town with the hill and he saw the old castle on the hill, and all the town, the hill and the old castle were in a cup in the hills? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.the context: When I came back to the front we still lived in that town. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. The fields were green and there were small green shoots on the vines, the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond, brown mountains with a little green on their slopes.
1
0
The "it" is the town. The piece of the text that says "I saw the old town with the hill" indicates that both the town and the hill are one in subject. While the conjunction "and" separates the subjects "town WITH the hill", and the "old castle", the "old castle was above "it", and the only other subject in that phrase was "the town with the hill". In short, both the town and hill are in similar location, whilst the old castle would be what's above. I hope this helps, good luck. ????????????????????????
Wu Ting