Jaime Oliver
What is best sentence? "I prefer sleeping for twenty minutes" or "I prefer sleeping during twenty minutes" Thanks
7
0
If this is question about prepositions (for/since/during etc) , there is an important rule which you need to learn: The preposition 'for' is followed by a LENGTH of time. It tells us how long something lasted: I slept for twenty minutes. I slept for an hour. I slept for a long time. I slept for a short while. Rip van Winkle slept for 40 years. 'During' does not tell you how long something lasted. It tells you WHEN it happened: I slept during the flight. I slept during the lesson. I slept during the film. As you can see, 'for' and 'during' do not have the same meaning. 'During' translates the Spanish word 'durante' only in the second situation, when we are talking about when something happens. If we want to say how long something lasts - i.e. the number of minutes, hours or years - we have to use 'for'. I hope that helps.
It would be "I prefer sleeping *for* twenty minutes", but I think you mean "napping" here (siesta), not "sleeping".
You could say '' I Prefer to sleep twenty minutes or I prefer sleeping twenty minutes
Jaime Oliver
English, German, Spanish