angie rojas
What is the second conditional and the zero conditional? Hi, I read and article about the Beatles and the autor wrote something about the use of second and zero conditional. What is this? Thank you for your help.
3
0
The zero conditional is used to say say that "If "x" happens, "Y" will also happen. For example, if water is heated to 100, it will boil, or if I eat too much, I will get fat. It is an absolute- if one thing happens, the other thing must follow. The second conditional is more tricky, but is usually only used in formal speak and isn't very common. It has two uses. The first is to talk about things in the future that are probably not going to be true. For example "If I were king, I would live in a castle". The second use is when you are talking about something in the present that is impossible because it isn't true. An example would be something like "If I had enough money, I would buy the T-shirt now". To be honest, you don't see them get used very much as they are involved in quite formal language. Hopes this helps a little.
That would take a bit to explain on here...but this link has good explanations for all types of conditional statements in English. http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/conditionals.html Hope that helps!
An example of the second conditional in a Beatles song is, "If I Fell."
angie rojas
English, French, Spanish