Jeff
Whole & Entire I don't really know when to use these words, so I do it randomly! Could you tell me the difference please?
4
0
You'll be pleased to hear that whole/entire is one of the rare pairs of words which are almost exact synonyms. There is virtually no difference between them, other than in idioms and set phrases (e.g. the whole nine yards) and the fact that 'whole' can be a noun whereas 'entire' can't. Feel free to carry on using them at random!
There are some slight differences. There are some common phrases: on the whole, as a whole, where you couldn't use entire. Also, in business we say "a wholly owned subsidiary of..." but we don't use entirely. You can also say "that's a whole other story". You couldn't say " that's an entire other story". Though you could say "thats an entirely different story" Also, if you want to sound really American, you can say "that's a whole nother story" which is wrong: nother isn't a word. I think it comes from shirtening " That's wholly another story" but that's just a guess.
They are interchangeable in usage. Some prefer one to thge other in certain sentences. Example: I ate an entire/whole meal alone.
Jeff
English, French, Spanish