Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? How would you interpret this sentence ‘New girls never been to the front before’? Does it mean new girls who had never been to the very front where the speakers were serving at? Or does it mean new girls who had never been to any front? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.the context: "You're dirty," he said. "You ought to wash. Where did you go and what did you do? Tell me everything at once." "I went everywhere. Milan, Florence, Rome, Naples, Villa San Giovanni, Messina, Taormina—" "You talk like a time-table. Did you have any beautiful adventures?" "Yes." "Where?" "Milano, Firenze, Roma, Napoli—" "That's enough. Tell me really what was the best." "In Milano." "That was because it was first. Where did you meet her? In the Cova? Where did you go? How did you feel? Tell me everything at once. Did you stay all night?" "Yes." "That's nothing. Here now we have beautiful girls. New girls never been to the front before."
1
0
I suspect it refers to new girls who have never been to the front lines of the war before. They're more innocent and perhaps more carefree than the girls who've seen the war up close.
Wu Ting