Ebrahim
Which one is right, "Er" or "Es"? These are opening sentences of a story. Friends in italki helped me to translate them into German. I noticed users used two different pronouns (Er & Es) for the pronoun "it" in the third and fourth sentences. I'm wondering if there's a problem with translations? This is a bird and a tree. Das ist ein Vogel und ein Baum. The bird is little. Der Vogel ist klein. It is red. ***Er ist rot.*** It is in the tree. ***Es ist im Baum.*** The tree is green. Der Baum ist grün. The bird is singing. Der Vogel singt.
2
0
I suppose the translator of the fourth sentence looked at it without context. If you don't know what "it" refers to, your best bet is to translate it as "es", neutral gender. The translator of the third sentence seems to have looked at the second one too and concluded that "it" is "the bird", masculine in German, hence "er". If the sentences all belong together, you should have "er" in the fourth one too.
Ebrahim
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Persian (Farsi), Spanish
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Spanish