Rey Curtiss
Particle "の"?? 1。 ここに数時間のあんたが謎を解いちゃった。 2。 モンスターも強いのが多いみたいだ。 3. いいえ、現在の状況などがわかればよいのですが。。。 Translations: 1. You've just been here for a few hours and you already solved the mysteries of this place. 2. Looks like there are a lot of strong monsters there too. 3. Nahh, it'd be better if I knew more about its current status. Problems: + "ここに数時間のあんた", this is "A few hours here 's you" or "you... of ... a few hours here" literally, so how does that make sense???? + The same goes for the second one, why not "強いモンスターが多いみたいだ。? What's the difference? + And the third one, is this "no desu" really "no desu"?? I mean this is speaking so it should be "n desu", right? if it's not the "no desu" then why is the "no" there? Can it just be "....yoi desu ga"? Thank you in advance
5
0
1。 ここに数時間のあんたが謎を解いちゃった。 =あなたは、ここに数時間しかいないのに、(ほかの人が解けなかった)謎を解いちゃった。 This の leads a noun phrase to describe あんた. In order to change a clause into a noun phrase, some words are cut and the time is left so that it can be emphasized. 日本にたった一年の外国人が、日本語を教えてるなんて、驚(おどろ)きです。 =その外国人は日本にたった一年しか いないのに/暮(く)らしていないのに、日本語を教えてるなんて、驚きです。 (It's amazing that a foreigner, who has lived in Japanese only for one year, is teaching Japanese!) 2。 モンスターも強いのが多いみたいだ。 =強いモンスターも多いみたいだ。 These mean the same. It's just a matter of taste. But, I guess, by starting with "モンスターも", it might draw some attention first. 3. いいえ、現在の状況などがわかればよいのですが。。。 This の shows an explanatory mood as Dirk-san explained. The speaker has a feeling like this: Only if I know the present situation more, I could do something about it. By adding の, it shows the speaker's desire to be understood by the listener. のです and んです are interchangeable in conversational language, but のです sounds more polite. I hope this is helpful!
Here の doesn't mean "of", but is used to express an explanatory mood: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/nounparticles#part5 As mentioned in the link, "... no da" and "no desu" can be shortened to "nda" and "ndesu" (just like "it is" can be shortened to "it's"), but they don't have to be shortened (just like "it is" doesn't have to be shortened).
Rey Curtiss
English, Japanese, Vietnamese
Japanese