Ferdaous
why we use this form to ask that question "what women want?" why did we not use the other form why we use this form to ask that question "what women want?" why did we not use the other form: "what do women want???? can anyone explain why we don't use the auxilary "do" there? Thanks
8
1
We don't use this form to ask a question. "What women want" is not a question. The only correct way to ask this question, in the present simple, is with the auxiliary 'do' : 'What do women want?' The words 'what women want' can be be contained within another question, for example 'Can you tell me what women want?', but these three words are not a question in themselves.
The phrase "what women want" is not a sentence, but "what do women want?" is a complete sentence. The two are not the same. I might say, "What women want is fair treatment." Or I might ask the question, "What do women want?" I have often wondered.
In this case, I think "what" would best be translated as "ce que." For example: I want to know "what women want" = je veux savoir « ce que les femmes veulent. » It's not a question; it's the answer.
Ferdaous
Arabic (Maghrebi), English, French, Japanese