Niwantha
Which one is the correct sentence? Hi friends Please go through the 02 sentences given below and let me know which one is grammatically correct? (with "on" or without "on") 1) She did not come to work on my last working day. 2) She did not come to work my last working day. Thanks. Niwantha
8
0
They are both right. However, if you are to follow AP (Associated Press) standards, which is a style and usage guide used by newspapers and in the news industry in the United States, the 02 would be more grammatical correct.The reason for this is because the word "on" isn't needed for the sentence to make sense and is more concise. But, you will hear 01 more commonly used in speech.
1) She did not come to work on my last working day. 2) She did not come to work my last working day. Neither sentence is actually very good. 1 - is better because it's meaning is more clear. It is just two prepositional phrases, one after the other, adding information to the basic sentence "She did not come to work..." 2 - is incorrect because it's meaning is ambiguous. Is 'to work' a prepositional phrase or an infinitive verb? Without the preposition ON, the phrase 'my last working day' becomes the object of the infinitive verb.The infinitive 'to work' needs an object to complete its meaning. This become more clear if you substitute a different verb - 'She did not come to celebrate my last working day.' But even this sentence could misinterpreted. "She did not come to work on - could still be interpreted as leading to an object for the infinitive - ...on my project, she came to work on Claire's project. So, "my last working day" might be interpreted as something that could be worked on (but maybe that is a stretch!). A better phrasing for this, instead of 'my last working day' would be 'my last day at work'. But in any case you still need to preposition ON.
#1 is more clearly stated.
Niwantha
English, Sinhala