zhangqing
I don't understand this sencense's grammar Rough estimates have it hit somewhere in southern california
3
0
The grammar here is rather informal. A little colloquial, perhaps. "Rough estimates have it hit somewhere in California." "Our data, although inexact, suggests that the meteorite (or whatever) will crash in California.' Similar sentences: My guess has him arriving at 6.30. Our plans have the construction finished next week. The data has the asteroid strike the planet in 2024. Actually, if you analyze the grammar it's a bit weird! It sounds as if the guess/plans/data are actually ordering it to happen, I think if you substitute the verb 'suggest' for the verb 'have' you get the meaning. However, it's actually a bit stronger than 'suggest.' For example, "Our plans have the construction finished next week" is more "We EXPECT it to be finished next week because that IS our plan." If I were you, I would avoid using this construction yourself - very easy to get it wrong! You'll see this kind of construction in blogs/newspapers/magazines. It's informal. To have something done is most often used when you get someone else to do something for you. 'to have something hit' sounds very cruel! To have the baby hit somewhere ... sounds as if you are going to smack the child! This is why the grammar must be very confusing! So, in summary, don't worry about the grammar. When I think about it - it seems weird too! So DON'T think about it. Just learn it the way you learn idiomatic language, colloquialisms, and phrasal verbs. Get used to slightly weird grammar!
Rough - Adjective Estimate - Noun ["I estimate i will be rich when i turn 30] Have - 有 it - something, a thing [in this sentence 'it', is referring to something in the previous sentence or clause or something known to speaker and listener. (i think 'it' in this sentence is referring to a 'storm' or 'weather'.] 'it' is a word we use a lot, sometimes it can be placed in a sentence, replacing the noun. EX: The 'bed' is big vs. 'it's big' hit - Verb. In this sentence, i assume a 'storm has hit' Southern California. somewhere in southern california - "Something" is in South California. Hope this is helpful, not sure which grammar point your referring to, so i hope i answered your question.
Someone estimated a satellite or something would land in southern California. Here "have" is a verb meaning "to put something in the position of". The clause "it hit somewhere is southern California" is the object of the verb.
zhangqing