Tomas
The at the begining of the sentence Can I start a sentence with "the" article like the one below ? Knowing a language, you are aware of grammar and a particular language structure. The is often similar in "family" languages. "The" is referring to the word "structure". I guess I saw it once or twice in some text considering it a mistake. If it's possible and I gave a bad example, though, give me another one please. Thanks
2016年1月5日 22:39
5
0
The word 'the' is an article, not a pronoun. The only place it can go is before a noun. It cannot stand alone as the subject of a sentence in the way that the words 'that' or 'this' can. You could say, for example: "Knowing a language, you are aware of grammar and a particular language structure. This is often similar in "family" languages."
2016年1月5日
The example sentence is a poorly written sentence, so I understand your confusion. The word 'the' is commonly used to begin a sentence and is also commonly used within sentences. Some examples of the word 'the' beginning a sentence are: "The only thing I want to eat for dinner is pasta." "The man on the train tonight was very rude." "The best thing about today was lunch."
2016年1月6日
"These are often similar within a language family." "These" is a different word than "the". "These" is a demonstrative pronoun (the plural of "this"); "the" is the definite article. Both perform the similar function of specifying a particular thing, but "the" is never used as a noun. (I just used "the" as a noun in that very sentence! but hopefully you can detect the difference in usage; I mean the word "the".)
2016年1月5日
Tomas
Czech, English, German
English, German