haoming
"about" or "for" hi everyone I found a dialogue in a moive that got me thinking about the usage of about and for. "excitement is about the last time I need. Little boredom suits me just fine. That's why I came to you about a job in the first place." why isn't the sentence that " That's why I came to you for a job in the first place" instead of "about" in the original sentence above?I found a dialogue in a movie that got me thinking about the usage of about and for. "excitement is about the last thing I need. Little boredom suits me just fine. That's why I came to you about a job in the first place."
3
0
First, I think there is a typographical error in your quote. "Excitement is about the last thing I need..... ". "... for a job" and " ... about a job" have almost the same meaning. ".... for a job" implies "looking for a job" or "asking for a job". They want a job. ".... about a job" implies " asking about a possible job". With "about" the person is just expressing interest in a job. They could be asking for information about available jobs or wanting to discuss potential jobs that would be a good match for them.
haoming