Barclay
Once he had tried to take his chains off, he had got them woundy around the axles. a paragraph in the short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber: They're so damn cocky, thought Walter Mitty, walking alone Main Street; they think they know everyghing. Once he had tried to take his chains off, outside New Milford, and he had got them woundy around the axles. A man had to come out in a wrecking car and unwind them, a young,grinning garageman. Since then Mrs. Mitty always made him drive to a garage to have the chains taken off. The next time, he thought, I'll wear my right arm in a sling;they won't grin at me then. question: Do the "chains" here mean "tyre train"? the chains to prevent skidding, if so, what do "axles" mean here? thank you for your help and your time.
6 de ene de 2016 2:44
1
0
"Once he had tried to take his chains off, he had got them woundy around the axles." Yes "chains" means tire chains. An axle is the long metal rod that connects a wheel to the driving mechanism of a car. If you take the tire chains off in the wrong way they might end up on the axle.
6 de Enero de 2016
Barclay