Barclay
Once he had tried to take his chains off, he had got them woundy around the axles. a paragraph in the short story "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber: They're so damn cocky, thought Walter Mitty, walking alone Main Street; they think they know everyghing. Once he had tried to take his chains off, outside New Milford, and he had got them woundy around the axles. A man had to come out in a wrecking car and unwind them, a young,grinning garageman. Since then Mrs. Mitty always made him drive to a garage to have the chains taken off. The next time, he thought, I'll wear my right arm in a sling;they won't grin at me then. question: Do the "chains" here mean "tyre train"? the chains to prevent skidding, if so, what do "axles" mean here? thank you for your help and your time.
1
0
Yes, "chains" here means tire chains. An axle is the long metal rod that connects a wheel to the driving mechanism of a car. If you take a tire chain off the wrong way, it can end up around the axle.
Barclay