Denis
to cut red tape for small businesses I know what ''red tape'' means, I'm just wondering in what stylistic context this expression is usually used, is it formal, informal or neutral? Can it be used, for example, in official and workplace documents? Thank you.
6 gen 2016 17:40
9
0
Red tape is the ribbon that traditionally lawyers used to tie up their "bundles of" documents. While you can still buy red tape, the meaning is now completely theoretical and means the rules and process you need to overcome to run a business. Hence it refers to any law that distracts you from running your business.
6 gennaio 2016
To answer your actual question this is a fairly neutral phrase in terms of register. You can use it in all the contexts you listed.
6 gennaio 2016
cut( through )red tape > this is an idiom; meaning cut the usual ( too many)) processes that you must go through to get something done in a bureaucratic context. Can it be used, for example, in official and workplace documents? Thank you. Yes and no . Eg. I was wondering if my application for a loan would be processed without going through the red tape ( not impolite)> going through the normal "slow" way. I was wondering if I could cut through the red tape and get my loan processed sooner ( a bit impolite because you are implying that you are unnecessary burdened by their many procedures
6 gennaio 2016
Denis
Arabic, English, French, Italian, Russian, Spanish
Arabic, English, French, Italian, Spanish