Nathália
what difference between "will" and "am going to ?"
6
1
"Be going to" is used to plans... for example: "I'm going to travel next week". And will is used to things done right now or in a time very far... for example: "I'll close the door" and "The sun will explode in 5 billion years". I'm a brazilian beginner in english, so if I wrote something wrong... sorry.
I will be going > you have 100% INTENTION to go in the FUTURE / confirmed that you are going. I am going > you are going to go. Difference? See the example blow: I will be going as well if you are going
Imagine two people are in a war. They are trying to decide whether to jump out of the trench into the fray. One of them says, "I will go if you will go." = "I am willing to go if you are willing to go." Imagine two people are in a war. One of them tells the other to wait while he makes a dangerous run. The other says, "I am going to go if you are going to go." = "It looks like you are going to go, so I am going to go whether you like it or not." It also works in the past tense, but with a caveat: (1) "He would later write a memoir." (2) "He was later going to write a memoir." (2) can mean either (A) he intended to write a memoir later, or (B) he later wrote a memoir. Statement (1) means only (B). Just be careful, though, because there are other uses of the word "would", such as in subjunctive mood. Those do not apply here.
Nathália
English, Portuguese