Gabriele Italia
How can I translate in English the italian word "Patria"?
5
0
The literal translation is 'fatherland' as Ben suggested, and Su Ki's comments suggest this was often translated as 'King and country' or 'Motherland' in the past...but I don't think any of these terms would be used now. 'Patria' is probably best known in English because the poet Wilfred Owen used the line "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" (he was quoting from Horace) in a famous anti-war poem. He said it means "It is sweet and fitting to die for one's country" (http://allpoetry.com/Dulce-Et-Decorum-Est-Pro-Patria-Mori). But I think a more modern translation (which is used far more frequently) is simply 'your country'.
As Ben says, the usual translations are homeland, home country or fatherland. 'Fatherland' has echoes of the era Nazi Germany, so I'd avoid that term, if I were you. Sometimes you hear 'mother country' or 'motherland'. In the days of the British empire, for example, people in the colonies were told that Britain was their 'mother country', although the meaning there is slightly different. In the context of Great Britain, you sometimes come across the phrase 'Queen and country' or 'King and country', depending on the era. This is a good translation because it has the same emotive quality, suggesting loyalty and duty, that 'patria' does.
In the U.S., you'll often hear "native land" or "America" when referring to our country in this sense.
homeland / home country /fatherland
Gabriele Italia
English, Italian