Nikolay
部首: as a beginner, should I learn all of the 214 basic Chinese radicals? If so, should I also learn the pronunciation of those? I am asking because this task is rather boring, but if it helps a lot in future learning, I want to try it.Please close this question. I have selected wrong language for it.
4
0
Since the question is not closed yet, and yet Chinese (both Cantonese and Mandarin) is quiet the same in this question, I would still like to answer it. Actually the radicals is not essential, unless you would like to look up the Chinese dictionary. You should know that the pronunciation of Chinese word mostly don't base on the radicals. There are six structure of word in Chinese, which is called 六書. The major Chinese words in use now is phono-semantic compounds and most radicals are not the phonetic component. Many radicals are basic words that you should learn; however, you don't need to learn all the radicals since some of them are too rare and even native speakers don't know how to pronounce it. Hope this is still helpful to you
Perhaps you can start with these five radicals "钅木氵火土" ,which is "金木水火土". With learning that radicals are helping us classify objects, maybe you could find more fun in learning Chinese.
I know that it may sound a lot to learn and maybe a tough task... but perhaps you can relate them with pictures. It's hard for me to explain it with words, but I'll link you some pictures and hopefully you'll get the idea. eg 部首:山 - relating it to mountain range http://www.nmsg.cn/uploadfile/2013/0725/20130725013730572.jpg
I think learning the most frequent 100 would be a good start.
Nikolay
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian
Chinese (Mandarin)