jin sun
'make any difference, suck it up' Hi teachers, I really appreciate you taking the time. I remember the times when I was afraid to use the common phrases like 'suck it up' and 'make any difference'. They both sound a little disrespectful to me, but I often heard someone availing them in conversation. Is it possible to pick them especially for someone who are not familiar? -------------------------------------------------------------------------- (hands person B five pennies). B) I'm sorry but, I wanted a nickel instead. A) so sorry, we're all out of them. I only have pennies. B) Oh okay, it doesn't make any difference to me. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- A) I'm so tired with my work.. B) I feel bad, too.. but you'd better suck it up,, ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Have a nice day ~
4
0
B) Oh okay, it doesn't make any difference to me.> to a stranger > you might sound cocky if your facial expression is not helping . I wouldn't want to elaborate further . I would just say , Oh , in that case , its okay . B) I feel bad, too.. but you'd better suck it up,,> very informal . Don't use with strangers .Its an idiom /slang . Only use with close friends ; just in case , you get misinterpreted as an uncaring person say " your problem , you deal with it". I would just say " Too bad . Well, that's life (for you)
The expression "suck it up" in this context amounts to friendly advice probably, but I emphasize the word "friendly". It might not be received well from a stranger. As for "make any difference", there is nothing wrong with that. It is a common way of speaking.
jin sun