youkoufiona
a question about conjunction Broadly, there are two theories for what is going on. The first is that the Chinese authorities have concluded a hefty devaluation is the least bad solution to the country’s economic predicament. Did the writer omit a "that" between "concluded" and "a hefty devaluation"? Is it a typo? If it's not a typo, why is it grammatically correct without "that"? Thank you.
8
0
I find this question amusing, because I just mentioned this morning that even as an educated native English speaker, I don't always know for sure whether I need to include the word "that" or not. In practice, it doesn't matter. I am understood either way and I think 99%+ of the American population wouldn't notice. I think a "that" here would be most correct, but it is understood fine either way.
You can put "that" after concluded, to show that the whole clause is the object of the verb. There's absolutely nothing wrong with omitting "that", because the meaning is equally clear. Removing "that" is talked about when learning about relative clauses, and the same principle applies to object clauses, as in your example.
I would advise putting a "that" there because "concluded" could be a transitive verb and "a hefty devaluation" could be mistaken for its object; when we realise it is not the object as we read on, we mark the writer down for not writing in a clearer manner. The rule is that for certain verbs - such as know, hope, believe, feel, say - the "that" may be omitted. For other verbs, we judge the omission by whether it will mislead or confuse as we read quickly in a smooth forward flow. If we need to stop and go back as a result of the omission, then we conclude that the omission is a bad one. See this guide from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv336.shtml
Yes, you are right; it should have the word "that".
youkoufiona