Martin-マーティン-雅斗
Requests I'm now learning different ways to request something in Japanese. They give this order from formal to casual: ~ていただけませんか。~て下さいませんか。~てもらえませんか。~てくれませんか。~てもらえない?~てくれない? They don't really say much more, do you maybe have more tips for how to choose which one to use?
6
0
All of those expressions mean "won't you (please) …" 〜てくれない would be used among friends or other people who are below you in social status. 〜てもらえない is just a bit more polite than that, and still can be used around people who you're close with in the same social status. 〜てくれませんか and 〜てもらえませんか are the polite forms of the previous two, and can be used around people who you're not that close with or people you work with. 〜て下さいませんか is even more polite and can show that you're lowering yourself to the person you're talking to. 〜ていただけませんか is the most polite out of all of them and can be used when you're in a formal business setting or when you're asking something from someone who is of a higher position than you. In Japan, social standing plays an important role in the formality of speech that you choose. For example, social standing may also be determined by who is older or younger.
I don't know about ていただけませんか but くだいさいませんか Is "Could you give me/do for me?" もらえませんか? Would be "Can you take this?" I think くれませんか? Is a bit of a general "Could you help me out here?" An you would use the two less formal ones with friends/family.
Martin-マーティン-雅斗
Dutch, Russian
Russian