Indran
Asking questions in the Moroccan dialect So I see that in Morocco, wesh is often used the way that هل is used in fus7a. But sometimes I also notice that the verb following wesh has ك in front of it. Is this like ب in shaami, where its role is mainly to make pronunciation easier? How do I know when to use it? I'm not in Morocco anymore so I am hoping for some kind of rule instead of just "listen to ppl on the street" :P Examples: wesh katskun henna? kifesh katdiru hadshi felbladkum (كيفاش كتديرو هد شي فل بلادكم) esh katqra (اش كتقرأ) kanqra lghat (كنقرأ لغات) huwa keikun fessebitar nnhar letnin (He's at the hospital on Mondays)
4
0
I am obviously not a native speaker of Arabic, much less an expert in Moroccan dialect. I have, however, asked this question of my Moroccan teacher. If I remember correctly, ك in Moroccan dialect does serve very much like the letter ب in other dialects. That is to say, it serves as a marker for the continuous/progressive tense. It is also used to indicate habitual action. The English translation, however, might not be in the continuous/progressive tense. Let me suggest some translations of your sentences to illustrate the point: wesh katskun henna? ~ Do you live here? kifesh katdiru hadshi felbladkum (كيفاش كتديرو هد شي فل بلادكم) ~ How do you (pl.) do this (thing) in your country? esh katqra (اش كتقرأ) ~ What are you studying? OR What do you study? (It depends on the context.) kanqra lghat (كنقرأ لغات) ~ I study languages. huwa keikun fessebitar nnhar letnin (He's at the hospital on Mondays) --- Interesting...I don't remember كيكون but it must exist. I am more accustomed to the seeing اسم الفاعل of this verb: كاين . ** Great question! I hope a Moroccan (or anyone with specialized knowledge of the dialect) will respond.
Indran
Arabic, English, Russian, Spanish
Arabic