Wu Ting
How would you interpret the second to last sentence? How would you interpret the second to last sentence? How many things had he thought depended on himself? I think there are three things: 1 the condition of the cars 2 whether or not things were obtainable 3 the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations, hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers Or does it mean there are only two things? 1 the condition of the cars, including whether or not new automobile parts were obtainable 2 the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations, hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papersWhat do you think? By the way, how would you interpret the word ‘things’ in the phrase ‘whether or not things were obtainable’? Does it refer to automobile parts, for they had been talking about repairing the ambulances before? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.the context: I left them working, the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench, and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars. They were moderately clean, a few freshly washed, the others dusty. I looked at the tires carefully, looking for cuts or stone bruises. Everything seemed in good condition. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. I had imagined that the condition of the cars, whether or not things were obtainable, the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations, hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers, depended to a considerable extent on myself. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not.
2
0
That's a good question. The list could be made up of two or three things, as you've correctly identified. From the context, I would say that the list is of three things (your first option), though obviously the first two are closely related. You are right that "things" are car parts and perhaps also tools - things he needed for the job - in this context.
Wu Ting