Wu Ting
How would you interpret the word ‘posts’ in the context? How would you interpret the word ‘posts’ in the phrase ‘the posts in the mountains’? Does it refer to the dressing stations? Or does it refer to the places where the ambulances would stop to do whatever they would do? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context: "Good," I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. (from Chapter 4)
2
0
Yes, I think it would be a military post. The military uses the word "post" to mean a place where a soldier is assigned. They use the word "stationed" instead of "assigned".
I suspect it refers to military posts or stations in the mountains.
Wu Ting