Wu Ting
How would you interpret the phrase ‘the whole thing’? How would you interpret the phrase ‘the whole thing’ in the first sentence of the second passage? Does it refer to the whole war or just the ambulance service? Thanks. The passage is taken from Chapter 4.the context: "Good," I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon.The whole thing seemed to run better while I was away. The offensive was going to start again I heard. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack. The attack would cross the river up above the narrow gorge and spread up the hillside. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. They would, of course, be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering.
2
0
We can't tell from this extract exactly what "the whole thing" means to the writer. It's probably not the war because you wouldn't usually use "run" with "war". From previous extracts you've posted, it's probably the mechanical operations and workshop he was involved in.
Wu Ting