jin sun
smell it over Hi everyone, I wonder what's different between these two phrases. I'm surprised you could smell it over the yellow pepper bisque with cheesy croutons. I'm surprised you could smell the yellow pepper bisque with cheesy croutons. Thank you for your time :)
2
0
The first sentence is saying that there's another smell and they're surprised you can notice it given the strong odour of the yellow pepper bisque. For example : I'm surprised you could smell (the rain) over the yellow pepper bisque with cheesy croutons. The second sentence is implying that the yellow pepper bisque with cheesy croutons has a weak odour, so they're surprised that you noticed it given how weak the smell is.
I'm surprised you could smell the yellow pepper bisque out from the cheesy croutons. smell (someone, something, or an animal) out > to locate someone, something, or an animal by smelling or as if by smelling.
jin sun