Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? How would you interpret this sentence ‘It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant’? How could it be pleasant if it was hot? Or does the author mean it had been hot and then the sun began to go down and it became pleasant? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context: We drank the second grappa, Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. Miss Barkley was in the garden. Another nurse was with her. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. Rinaldi saluted. I saluted too but more moderately.
3
0
I take it to mean it continued to be hot (the air was hot), but nevertheless pleasant to be in the heat once the sun had become less overpowering.
I agree with James. I'd add: "hot" isn't necessarily unpleasant. It could mean "it was hot, but not too hot." It was pleasantly hot. Perhaps it had been unpleasantly hot before, and now that the sun was going down it was pleasantly hot. It might then become pleasantly warm, pleasantly cool, pleasantly cold, and then unpleasantly cold.
Wu Ting