Angela Galvin
Rolling the 'R' in Italian I simply cannot roll my 'R' and it's super frustrating. I have read lots of suggestions online and tried them; sometimes I can get a tiny roll going, but only with certain letter combinations, 'tr', 'ro' and 'ra'. And it doesn't work all the time. Sometimes it's a bit easier after a glass of wine, but I can't drink every time I want to speak Italian! I'm not that confident with speaking as I think the lack of a rolled R makes me sound very foreign. Which I am of course, but I'd rather sound a little more authentic. Does anyone have any tips???
3
0
Try this way: put the top of your toungue against your hard palate, and the try to make the toungue vibrate, try to make a "purring" sound, like the one of a cat. Do this in front of a mirror, let me know!
I would not worry at all.
You should not see this as a problem. In fact there are even Italians who cannot roll the Rs. It could be a defect of pronunciation or simply your habit. https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotacismo_%28medicina%29 In general it's not a big deal unless you mangle the rest of the word containing the Rs to the point of making it unrecognisable. As an exercise: try to imagine revving an engine... rrr...rrr...RRR...RRR... making the sound gradually louder and prolonged.
Angela Galvin
English, Gaelic (Scottish), German, Italian
Gaelic (Scottish), German, Italian