Sonia
Why is 'would trust me' here, not 'will trust me'? "Most of the time the editors help her themselves. But it's at spring RTW that she throws a huge party, the annual kick-off party that everyone says is the best at all the shows, all year long. I'll only go for the week while she's in Paris. So obviously she would only trust me to help her there." I'm wondering why the speaker use 'would only trust me' at the last sentence, not 'will only trust me.' What's the difference in meaning?
4
1
It's because would can be used for imaginary situations such as assumptions, impossibility, conditionals. If 'will only trust me' were used in this sentence it's meaning would be like she informed the speaker about who she will trust but with a very high possibility the speaker implies and thinks that they're the person she would trust. So it's uncertainty. Hope this helps.
Actually it's an event that is going to happen so either will or would could have been used
Hello Kenny Wong. "Would" can be used to express expectation or when you are presuming something. The speaker says: I'll only go for the week while she's in Paris. The speaker thinks that she probably will trust him based on some evidence, however he cannot be sure about that. This is what he expects to happen. That´s why he says: So obviously she would only trust me to help her there." He just could have used " She will " if he was 100% sure about that.
She would only trust me to help her there.> would >used to refer to a ​situation that you can ​imagine ​happening . She will only trust me to help her there > you can use this if you are 100% certain. So obviously she would > "So obviously > not certain 100% > So, you use "would" as you think that is likely . So, for sure , she will > you are certain it will happen.
Sonia