Khosro
Matching Ceremony Do 'matching' and 'ceremony' make a good collocation? Is 'matching ceremony' a sensible phrase? Are 'matching' and 'ceremony' collocate? Is there any better collocations? Please suggest. Please correct my questions a well. Thank you.
24
0
The short answer is no, "matching ceremony" does not make sense. If you mean "wedding ceremony", that's a common phrase. To match = to put similar things/people together. A ceremony = a formal ritual, usually with a religious connotations (e.g., a "purification ceremony"), however the (non-religious) term "graduation ceremony" (e.g., from a school) is very common.
This is complicated to answer. I hope my answer is not too difficult for you to understand (I don't know your level of English), because my example is quite complex. I am not aware of that phrase as a collocation. It is certainly possible to put those two words together and form a new compound noun to describe something that we do not already have an appropriate noun for. I'm thinking if you were writing a science-fiction novel and you wanted to imagine a society where large groups of the opposite sex meet and take part in some sort of tradition where they then become paired off, well 'matching ceremony' does sound appropriate. Also, I guess this term might be used in Anthropology to describe some form of tradition in a society? Does this help?
I'm struggling to think of where matching and ceremony would go together. Anyone else?
I deduce the phrase is not a current term. I got your clear message. Thank you. (I am so pride, because of making a new phrase!)
When I google "matching ceremony", the fourth match is the page we're on now. That should give you an idea of how common it is: https://www.google.com.au/#q=%22matching+ceremony%22
Khosro
Arabic, English, Latin, Persian (Farsi)
English, Latin