Gio
What word fits better? I couldn't withdrawal my money from the ATM. I couldn't draw out... I couldn't take out... Else other?? Gracias a todos y buen día.
15
0
"I couldn't withdraw money from the ATM" is the most natural way to say it. Using the noun instead of the verb would be, "I couldn't make a withdrawal from the ATM". In this context, "withdraw" has the specific meaning of taking money out of an account. "Draw out" and "take out" are grammatically correct and you would be understood from the context, but they're not natural language. "Draw out" would never be used when talking about money and accounts, it's always "withdraw".
There is a clear difference between American English and British English judging from John's common because it is perfectly common and natural in BrE to say you need to draw out some money from a cash point, or from your bank account in general. By the by, ATM is not really is used in British English. We normally say 'cash machine' or 'cash point.' 'ATM' is understood but not what we would likely say ourselves. I couldn't withdraw my money from the cash point. I couldn't draw out my money from the cash point. Both are fine.
"I couldn't withdraw my money from the ATM." (withdraw is the verb; withdrawal is a noun) "I couldn't get my money out at the ATM."
I could not withdraw money from the ATM machine.
Gio
English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
English, French, Portuguese