Wendy
pls help. how to say this in English.... I learned a phrase, sleep late, which means get up late. If i want to express, sleep very late at night, what can i say? Thank you very much
2016년 1월 16일 오전 12:38
11
0
Do you mean going to bed late? For that I would use "staying up late". And for getting up late, "sleeping in" is also a common idiom we use.
2016년 1월 16일
"Sleep late" is a synonym for 'sleeping in' (staying asleep until late morning or afternoon, or sleeping longer than you intended). If you're trying to say that you slept until the afternoon or even later, until the evening, you could say that you "slept all day." But if you're trying to express staying awake until very late at night before going to bed, then you could use "staying up until all hours of the night" or "staying up late." We also use "night owl" (noun) to describe a person who typically stays up very late at night.
2016년 1월 16일
Do you mean that you woke up later in the day? It would be "I slept in" "I slept all day" If you meant you stayed up until late at night it would be "I stayed up all night" "I didn't sleep until x o'clock" "I stayed up very late"
2016년 1월 16일
There is also the expression "to burn the midnight oil". 熬。
2016년 1월 16일
I stay up very late at night. I stay up quite late at night. I do not go to bed early, I stay up late.
2016년 1월 16일
Wendy
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
English, German