Wu Ting
How would you interpret these two Italian phrases? How would you interpret these two Italian phrases ‘A rivederci’, ‘A rivederla’? I think they mean ‘see you’. I need your confirmation. Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway.the context: "You're the American in the Italian army?" she asked. "Yes, ma'am." "How did you happen to do that? Why didn't you join up with us?" "I don't know," I said. "Could I join now?" "I'm afraid not now. Tell me. Why did you join up with the Italians?" "I was in Italy," I said, "and I spoke Italian." "Oh," she said. "I'm learning it. It's beautiful language." "Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks." "Oh, I'll not learn it in two weeks. I've studied it for months now. You may come and see her after seven o'clock if you wish. She'll be off then. But don't bring a lot of Italians." "Not even for the beautiful language?" "No. Nor for the beautiful uniforms." "Good evening," I said. "A rivederci, Tenente." "A rivederla." I saluted and went out.
3
0
Hello Gordon! a rivederci: see you again ci: in this case,pronoun,"us" a rivederla : because she is a woman, "la" pronoun,she the verb is "rivedere",see again,meet again I hope this will help you.
Wu Ting