Tatiana
what's wrong here? Is he one who can play soccer?
6
0
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sentence. It sounds a little archaic, but that does not make it wrong. If you want to sound like a modern native speaker, just say, "Does he play football?"
Almost correct -- it's "Is he someone who can play soccer?" But it's more natural to simply ask, "Can (or: does) he play soccer?" or "Is he a soccer player?" This is a common structure: - She is someone I met on vacation. - Is that someone who can help me? - That's someone who should never drive. The plural form would be: - Are they people I met on vacation? - They are people who enjoy helping tourists.
There is actually nothing wrong with it. It would be in a different register of English than we normally communicate in today. It is in more of a poetic register, or Shakespearian English register. It would probably also sound very natural in a drawing room in England in the 19th century. Still, there is nothing wrong with it from the grammar point of view. I do not consider it "wrong" just because it is not what you would normally hear today. If you are a foreign speaker, native speakers expect you to sound a little different, and sometimes different can be a nice change.
Tatiana
English, Ukrainian