Twizfizzler
idiom of the day idiom: 'brown-nosing' someone example: "Yeah, that kid did some major brown nosing to his teacher in the last of the semester--he was worried he was going to get an 'F' and flunk out." Meaning: Brown nosing is when someone attempts to gain favor with another person (often times people of higher status, such as a teacher or an employer). There are usually common characteristics of people when they're called 'brown nosers'. They usually are pretending to care about the person they are 'brown nosing', but really don't and quite frequently the things they do to gain favor would put them in a position of humiliation (this is not always the case, but quite frequently).
4
0
actually, nothing at all. 'brownie points' refer to doing some type of deed that gets you favor or likability with another person. It's usually a petty or simple deed that often times requires little time investment. "Hey, why don't you go over there and tell that girl the smell of her hair is like autumn blossoms--might score some brownie points!" It's used in very casual conversation.
I'm guessing the original saying came from the Brownies, which I *think* is a type of girl scouts club. Though, don't quote me on that. I'm not a girl, so I wouldn't know hah. However, here is the wiki page that can probably give you more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_points
What about "browny / brownie points" ? Is that connected?
I can't stand them or butt kissers !!!!
Twizfizzler
English, Thai
Thai