Gaurav
understanding liaison with et Bonjour, I understand that the 't' in 'et' never liaises with the next word starting with a vowel e.g. et un apple (there is no liaison between 'et' and 'un' - Am I correct? In this example: "intelligent et ..." is there liaison between intelligent and et hence pronouncing the 't' in intelligent ? Merci d'avance.
2
0
You are right, there can never be a "liaison" with "et". The "t" is never pronounced. Whether there is a liaison BEFORE "et" is completely unrelated. It depends on the word preceding it. Personally, I wouldn't, but I'm not sure if it's an optional liaison or a forbidden one. I would tend to say forbidden, because otherwise it would be confusing: with the liaison, "intelligent et" would sound like "intelligente et". I'll be happy to hear from others! :)
Gaurav
French